The Purpose of Teaching Professions
Teaching Professions is a career tech program designed to give qualified high school students a head start on a successful career path to teaching. Instead of waiting until you graduate from high school to explore the fundamentals of teaching, you can begin now with focused studies and field experience.
This two-period course has an honors option.
- Education Principles—history of education, learning theorists, philosophy of education
- Classroom Management—various strategies and procedures to run a classroom smoothly
Senior YearThis is a three-period honors course.
- Curriculum and Instruction—lesson planning
- Educational Assessment—writing tests and evaluating data
- Education and Training Capstone—student interns spend time in their district’s classrooms getting valuable hands-on experience in four different classroom settings.
The Teaching Professions course has received the CTAG endorsement from the Ohio Department of Education and Ohio Higher Ed. If you score high enough on the portfolio and the End-of-Course Tests, you will receive credit for Education Principles at any state university—and it goes with you if you transfer to another state university.
- You can change the world, one student at a time.
- You can experience the joy of working with children or adolescents in their formative years.
- You have the chance to spend your life with a subject that you love.
- Each day, you will have opportunities to explore your own creativity and develop it in others.
- If you are good at what you do, you’ll have a wide choice of jobs in Ohio and across the country.
Do you have what it takes to teach?
Successful teachers have:
- Good communication skills—both oral and written.
- Patience—they never give up on a student or the learning process.
- A love of learning and knowledge of their subject matter.
- Teamwork skills—they enjoy working with young people and other adults.
- An understanding of how students learn.
“In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have.”
“One child, one teacher, one book, and one pen can change the world.”
SHIRLEY DOBRY, Instructor
330 497 5620 ext 1090 | EMAIL
JENNIFER MANION, Instructor
330 497 5620 ext 1061 | EMAIL